[Python-Dev] \G (match last position) regex operator non-existant in python?

Peter Ludemann pludemann at google.com
Sat Oct 28 20:09:48 EDT 2017

On 28 October 2017 at 16:48, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:31:01AM +0100, MRAB wrote:
>
> > Not that I'm planning on making any further additions, just bug fixes
> > and updates to follow the Unicode updates. I think I've crammed enough
> > into it already. There's only so much you can do with the regex syntax
> > with its handful of metacharacters and possible escape sequences...
>
> What do you think of the Perl 6 regex syntax?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl_6_rules#Changes_from_Perl_5

​If you're going to change the notation, why not use notations similar to
what linguists use for FSTs? These allow building FSTs (with operations
such as adding/subtracting/composing/projecting FSTs) with millions of
states — and there are some impressive optimisers for them also, so that
encoding a dictionary with inflections is both more compact and faster than
a hash of just the words without inflections. Some of this work is open
source, but I haven't kept up with it.

If you're interested, you can start here:
http://web.stanford.edu/~laurik/​
http://web.stanford.edu/~laurik/publications/TR-2010-01.pdf
http://web.stanford.edu/group/cslipublications/cslipublications/site/1575864347.shtml
etc.