[Python-Dev] Migrate python-dev to Mailman 3?

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Thu Oct 26 08:52:30 EDT 2017

Le 26/10/2017 à 14:40, Nick Coghlan a écrit :

> If folks want to see MM3 in action with some more active lists, I'd
> suggest looking at the Fedora MM3 instance, especially the main dev
> list:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> There's a 100 message thread about Firefox 57 here, and it's no harder
> to read than a long thread on any other web forum:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/K5HSROMAIMNYSJONB5EIAQKWKYNFYSHK/
> (if you switch to the strictly chronological display, it's almost
> *identical* to a web forum)

Thanks for posting these examples.  The comparison with "other" web
forums is irrelevant, though, since we're talking about replacing the
pipermail UI (which is not laid out like a web forum, but as a dense
synthetic tree view).  IMHO, common web forums (I assume you're talking
the phpBB kind) are unfit for presenting a structured discussion and
they're not a very interesting point of comparison :-)

> Pages for individual messages do exist (e.g.
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/HBA3O755BWRZMTDBBOCUHCKC3RREGTII/
> ), and I'd expect Aurelian to be amenable to accepting a PR at
> https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty if anyone was particularly keen to
> add pipermail style forward/back buttons to those pages.

I have no doubt that it's possible to submit PRs to improve MM3's
current UI.  Still, someone has to do the work, and until it is done I
find that a migration would be detrimental to my personal use of the ML
archives.  YMMV :-)

Regards

Antoine.