[Python-Dev] iso8601 parsing

Fred Drake fred at fdrake.net
Wed Oct 25 23:41:59 EDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 10:37 PM, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:
> What would you call the str argument? Does it accept strptime args or only
> ISO8601?

There'd be no reason to accept a format.  That wouldn't make sense.  A
.fromiso(s:str) should only accept an ISO 8601 string, though I'd
advocate tolerating both space and "T".

> Would all of that string parsing logic be a performance regression
> from the current constructor? Does it accept None or empty string?

It's an alternate constructor, so should not impact the existing
constructor (though it could employ the existing constructor to get
work done).

It should not accept anything but a valid ISO 8601 string.

> Should the date time constructor support nanos= (just like time_ns())?

No.  It should support exactly up to 6 decimal digits to populate the
microsecond field.

> ENH: Add nanosecond support to the time and datetime constructors

This should be left for a separate change, if we determine it should
be implemented for the datetime and timedelta types.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein