[Python-Dev] PEP 564: Add new time functions with nanosecond resolution

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 12:00:02 EDT 2017

> I've read the examples you wrote here, but I'm struggling to see what the
> real-life use cases are for this. When would you care about *both* very
> long-running servers (104 days+) and nanosecond precision? I'm not saying it
> could never happen, but would want to see real "experience reports" of when
> this is needed.

The second example doesn't depend on the system uptime nor how long
the program is running. You can hit the issue just after the system
finished to boot:

"Example 2: compare time with different resolution"
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0564/#example-2-compare-time-with-different-resolution

Victor