[Python-Dev] PEP 560 vs metaclass' class definition protections [was Re: What is the design purpose of metaclasses ...]

Ivan Levkivskyi levkivskyi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 14:30:33 EDT 2017

On 14 October 2017 at 18:14, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 10/14/2017 08:57 AM, Ivan Levkivskyi wrote:
>

>> Could you please elaborate more what is wrong with PEP 560 and what do
>> you mean by "class definition protections"
>>

> Nothing is wrong with PEP 560.  What I am referring to is:

[snip]

OK thanks, then let us keep PEP 560 to its original scope. Its design is
specific to generic classes,
so it will probably not help with "wider" metaclass problems.

As a side note, I don't think elimination of metaclasses should be a "goal
by itself".
This is a powerful and flexible mechanism, but there are specific
situations where
metaclasses don't work well because of e.g. frequent conflicts or
performance penalties.

--
Ivan