[Python-Dev] PEP 553

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Oct 2 02:15:45 EDT 2017

On 10/2/2017 12:44 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> - There's no rationale for the *args, **kwds part of the breakpoint()
> signature. (I vaguely recall someone on the mailing list asking for it
> but it seemed far-fetched at best.)

If IDLE's event-driven GUI debugger were rewritten to run in the user
process, people wanting to debug a tkinter program should be able to
pass in their root, with its mainloop, rather than having the debugger
create its own, as it normally would.  Something else could come up.

> - The explanation of the relationship between sys.breakpoint() and
> sys.__breakpointhook__ was unclear to me -- I had to go to the docs for
> __displayhook__
> (https://docs.python.org/3/library/sys.html#sys.__displayhook__) to
> understand that sys.__breakpointhook__ is simply initialized to the same
> function as sys.breakpointhook, and the idea is that if you screw up you
> can restore sys.breakpointhook from the other rather than having to
> restart your process. Is that in fact it? The text
> "``sys.__breakpointhook__`` then stashes the default value of
> ``sys.breakpointhook()`` to make it easy to reset" seems to imply some
> action that would happen... when? how?
>
> - Some pseudo-code would be nice. It seems that it's like this:

This will be helpful to anyone implementing their own breakpointhook.

--
Terry Jan Reedy