[Python-Dev] What's the status of PEP 505: None-aware operators?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 04:58:45 EST 2017

On 29 November 2017 at 06:17, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Please, not for 3.7. I think it will be very difficult to get consensus
> about this, and I personally feel something like +/- zero about it --
> sometimes I think it makes sense, sometimes I think we're jumping the shark
> here.

I've marked all 3 of the related PEPs as Deferred until 3.8 at the
earliest: https://github.com/python/peps/commit/181cc79af925e06a068733a1419b1760ac1a2d6f

PEP 505: None-aware operators
PEP 532: A circuit breaking protocol and binary operators
PEP 535: Rich comparison chaining

I don't see any urgency to resolve any of them - the None-aware
operators do make certain kinds of code (commonly found in JSON
processing) easier to read and write, but such code is still fairly
readable and writable today (it's just a bit verbose and boilerplate
heavy), and the other two PEPs arise specifically from seeking to
provide a common conceptual underpinning for the semantics of both the
proposed None-aware operations and the existing short-circuiting
logical operators.

Cheers,
Nick.