[Python-Dev] Clarifying Cygwin support in CPython

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 21:00:06 EST 2017

On 9 November 2017 at 02:28, Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Erik Bray <erik.m.bray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> a platform--in particular it's not clear when a buildbot is considered
>> "stable", or how to achieve that without getting necessary fixes
>> merged into the main branch in the first place.
>
> I think in this context, "stable" just means "keeps a connection to
> the buildbot master and doesn't blow up when told to build" :).  As
> such, I'm ready to get you added to the fleet whenever you are.

Yep, and from a PEP 11 perspective, it's fine to have the order be:

1. add the new buildbot worker while it's still red
2. make the changes needed to turn it green in 3.X
3. keep it green for future releases of 3.X+

There just needs to be enough lead time between step 1 and the release
of 3.Xb1 to land the compatibility fixes without causing problems for
the release manager (and you're currently fine on that front with
respect to 3.7).

Cheers,
Nick.