[Python-Dev] PEP 484: difference between tuple and ()

Jelle Zijlstra jelle.zijlstra at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 17:26:54 EST 2017

jeanpatrick.francoia at gmail.com>:

> This is my first post on this list, so please don't kill me if I ask it in
> the wrong place, or if the question is stupid.
>

> I asked this question on Stack Overflow already:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47163048/python-
> annotations-difference-between-tuple-and
>

> In very short, which form is correct ?
>

> def func() -> Tuple[int, int]
>

> But this requires to import the typing module.
>

> Or this (doesn't crash):
>

> def func() -> (int, int):
>

> The former is correct. Type checkers should reject the second one. But
because type checking in Python is through static analysis, either will
work at runtime—you need to run a separate static analysis tool like mypy
or pytype to find type errors in your code.

Also, python-dev is a mailing list for the development of Python, not for
questions about Python. The Gitter chatroom at
https://gitter.im/python/typing and the typing issue tracker at
https://github.com/python/typing are better places for questions about
typing in Python.