[Python-Dev] Proposal: go back to enabling DeprecationWarning by default

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 7 11:55:50 EST 2017

On Nov 7, 2017, at 05:44, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're a user and your application developer didn't do (1) or a
> library developer developing one of the libraries your application
> developer chose to use didn't do (2), you're hosed. If you're a user
> who works in an environment where moving to a new version of the
> application is administratively complex, you're hosed.

“hosed” feels like too strong of a word here.  DeprecationWarnings usually don’t break anything.  Sure, they’re annoying but they can usually be easily ignored.

Yes, there are some situations where DWs do actively break things (as I’ve mentioned, some Debuntu build/test environments).  But those are also relatively easier to silence, or at least the folks running those environments, or writing the code for those environments, are usually more advanced developers for whom setting an environment variable or flag isn’t that big of a deal.

Cheers,
-Barry