[Python-Dev] Proposal: go back to enabling DeprecationWarning by default

Philipp A. flying-sheep at web.de
Tue Nov 7 09:17:08 EST 2017

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 7. Nov. 2017 um 14:57 Uhr:

> Users of applications written in Python are not python-dev's users:
> they're the users of those applications, and hence the quality of that
> experience is up to the developers of those applications. […]

Thank you, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Besides: Nobody is
“hosed”… There will be one occurrence of every DeprecationWarning in the
stderr of the application. Hardly the end of the world for CLI applications
and even invisible for GUI applications.

If the devs care about the user not seeing any warnings in their CLI
application, they’ll have a test set up for that, which will tell them that
the newest python-dev would raise a new warning, once they turn on testing
for that release. That’s completely fine!

Explicit is better than implicit! If I know lib X raises
DeprecationWarnings I don’t care about, I want to explicitly silence them,
instead of missing out on all the valuable information in other
DeprecationWarnings.

Best, Philipp