[Python-Dev] Proposal: go back to enabling DeprecationWarning by default

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 08:44:50 EST 2017

On 7 November 2017 at 13:35, Philipp A. <flying-sheep at web.de> wrote:
> Sorry, I still don’t understand how any of this is a problem.
>
> If you’re an application developer, google “python disable
> DeprecationWarning” and paste the code you found, so your users don’t see
> the warnings.
> If you’re a library developer, and a library you depend on raises
> DeprecationWarnings without it being your fault, file an issue/bug there.
>
> For super-increased convenience in case 2., we could also add a convenience
> API that blocks deprecation warnings raised from certain module or its
> submodules.
> Best, Philipp

If you're a user and your application developer didn't do (1) or a
library developer developing one of the libraries your application
developer chose to use didn't do (2), you're hosed. If you're a user
who works in an environment where moving to a new version of the
application is administratively complex, you're hosed.

As I say, the proposal prioritises developer convenience over end user
experience.
Paul