[Python-Dev] Remove typing from the stdlib

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 04:40:49 EST 2017

On 7 November 2017 at 05:20, Ethan Smith <ethan at ethanhs.me> wrote:
> I'm not so keen on this because I think some things in typing (such as
> NamedTuple) probably deserve to be in the collections module. And some of
> the ABCs could probably also be merged with collections.abc but doing this
> correctly and not all at once would be quite difficult.
> I do think the typing concepts should be better integrated into the standard
> library. However, a fair amount of the clases you list (such as NamedTuple)
> are in of themselves dependent on parts of typing.

This is a good point. To what extent is it true that the stdlib
*already* uses the typing module internally, it's just that the usage
is hidden by the fact that the examples of this are in the typing
module - not because they "should" be there but simply because it
isolates the use of typing to that one module?

Paul