[Python-Dev] Remove typing from the stdlib

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 04:38:25 EST 2017

On 7 November 2017 at 00:35, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Maybe we just need to fully flesh out the idea of a "Python Core" (What
> exists now as “Python”) and a “Python Platform” (Python Core + A select set
> of preinstalled libraries). Then typing can just be part of the Python
> Platform, and gets installed as part of your typical installation, but is
> otherwise an independent piece of code.

I quite like this idea, but at a minimum it would mean that the
Windows installers for Python should include "core" and "platform"
builds, with "platform" being the version that new users are directed
to. And I'm not sure python-dev would be comfortable with agreeing and
distributing what would essentially be a curated subset of PyPI
packages. The most recent discussion on "a recommended set of
packages" didn't get much further than 3 or 4 candidates, which hardly
constitutes a "platform".

Conversely, something like Anaconda could be considered as the "Python
Platform" (assuming they bundle typing...), but I'm not really
comfortable with python-dev aligning themselves that strongly with a
single distributor. (We're talking about a recommendation along the
lines of "people wanting to gain, for example, corporate approval for
"Python" should request approval for the Anaconda distribution rather
than the python.org distribution").

Paul