[Python-Dev] Guarantee ordered dict literals in v3.7?

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 14:56:38 EST 2017

Hello,

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 11:33:10 -0800
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

[]

> If we did make the change, it’s possible we would need a way to
> explicit say that order is not preserved.  That seems a little weird

I recently was working on a more or less complex dataflow propagation
problem. It should converge to a fixed point, and it did, but on
different runs, to different ones. So, I know that I'm a bad
programmer, need to do more of my homework and grow. I know, that if I
rewrite it in C++ or C, it'll work unstable the same way, because it's
buggy. (Heck, over these years, I learned that I don't need to rewrite
things in C/C++, because Python is the *real* language, which works the
way computers do, without sugaring that up).

I need to remember that, because with Python 3.7, I may become a
good-programmer-in-a-ponyland-of-ordered-dicts.

Btw, in all this discussion, I don't remember anyone mentioning sets. I
don't recall the way they're implemented in CPython, but they have
strong conceptual and semantic resemblance to dict's. So, what about
them, do they become ordered too?

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com