[Python-Dev] Proposal: go back to enabling DeprecationWarning by default

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 09:16:39 EST 2017

Big +1 to turning warnings on by default again.

When this behaviour first started, first I was surprised, then annoyed that
warnings were being suppressed.  For a few years I learned to have `export
PYTHONWARNINGS=default` in my .bashrc.

But eventually, the warnings in 3rd-party Python modules gradually
increased because, since warnings are disabled by default, authors of
command-line tools, or even python modules,  don't even realise they are
triggering the warning.

So developers stop fixing warnings because they are hidden.  Things get
worse and worse over the years.  Eventually I got fed up and removed the
PYTHONWARNINGS env var.

Showing warnings by default is good:
 1. End users who don't understand what those warnings are are unlikely to
see them since they don't command-line tools at all;
 2. The users that do see them are sufficiently proficient to be able to
submit a bug report;
 3. If you file a bug report in tool that uses a 3rd party module, the
author of that tool should open a corresponding bug report on the 3rd party
module that actually caused the warning;
 4. Given time, all the bug reports trickle down and create pressure on
module maintainers to fix warnings;
 5. If a module is being used and has no maintainer, it's a good indication
it is time to fork it or find an alternative.

Not fixing warnings is a form of technical debt that we should not
encourage.  It is not the Python way.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
Gambit Research