[Python-Dev] Reminder: 12 weeks to 3.7 feature code cutoff

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 23:30:49 EDT 2017

On 4 November 2017 at 09:52, Jelle Zijlstra <jelle.zijlstra at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This just popped up in Brython's issue tracker discussion:
>>
>> """
>> Pierre Quentel <notifications at github.com>
>>
>> 04:57 (16 hours ago)
>> to brython-dev/br., Subscribed
>>
>> I think it's better to rename all occurences of async now, although
>> it's strange that :
>>
>> there is currently no deprecation warning in CPython with code that
>> uses it as a variable name, PEP492 said that "async and await names
>> will be softly deprecated in CPython 3.5 and 3.6"
>> there is no mention of async and await becoming keywords in What's new
>> in Python 3.7
>>
>> Maybe the idea was finally given up, but I can't find a reference.
>>
>> """
>>
>> So, what is the status of promoting async and await to full keyword for
>> 3.7?
>>
> This was implemented, and it's in NEWS:
> https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/1669.

That's a big enough change that it should be in What's New as well (at
least in the porting section, and probably more prominent than that).

The current lack of DeprecationWarnings in 3.6 is a fairly major
oversight/bug, though:

    Python 3.6.2 (default, Oct  2 2017, 16:51:32)
    [GCC 7.2.1 20170915 (Red Hat 7.2.1-2)] on linux
    >>> await = 1
    >>> async = 1
    >>> print(async, await)
    1 1

So if we're going to go ahead with making them real keywords in 3.7
(as specified in PEP 492), then the missing DeprecationWarning problem
in 3.6 needs to be fixed.

Cheers,
Nick.