[Python-Dev] Remove typing from the stdlib

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 19:01:31 EDT 2017

> If not having typing installed means you can't use "Any" or "Optional" in an
> annotation, that basically kills the whole thing. Some primitives need to be
> there.

I'm not sure that I understand you.

The question is if you would only need <Python 3.7> or <Python 3.7 +
pip install typing>.

If typing is removed from the stdlib, you can still use it in your
application. It's "just" another dependency no? Which major (non
trivial) application or Python module has zero external dependency
nowaday?

The only drawback is that we cannot use typing "anymore" in the stdlib
itself, since we don't allow external dependency in the stdlib for
practical reasons. But as I wrote, we don't use typing currently in
stdlib. I'm perfectly fine with the current status of having
annotations on the stdlib in a third party project.

Victor