[Python-Dev] Remove typing from the stdlib

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Nov 3 16:27:08 EDT 2017

On Nov 3, 2017, at 10:00, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:

> On 03Nov2017 0915, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>> Maybe we should remove typing from the stdlib?
>>> https://github.com/python/typing/issues/495
>> I'm strongly in favor on such move.
>
> I'm torn.

Me too.  We’re seeing much greater adoption of type annotations, and it’s becoming one of the killer features for adopting Python 3.  I’d be hesitant to accept anything that slows that adoption down.  While it’s been technically provisional, a lot of code is beginning to depend on it and it would be a shame to break that code as we also start to adopt Python 3.7.  But I can appreciate the need to iterate on its API faster.

I don’t know if a middle ground is feasible.  What core functionality and stable-enough APIs can be kept in stdlib typing, and can we provide an extension or override mechanism if you want the latest and greatest?

Cheers,
-Barry