[Python-Dev] Backport ssl.MemoryBIO on Python 2.7?

Cory Benfield cory at lukasa.co.uk
Tue May 23 20:54:02 EDT 2017

> On 23 May 2017, at 17:46, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> He described me his PEP and I strongly support it (sorry, I missed it
> when he posted it on python-dev), but we decided (Guido van Rossum,
> Christian Heimes, Cory Benfield and me, see the tweet below) to not
> put this in the stdlib right now, but spend more time on testing it on
> Twisted, asyncio, requests, etc. So publishing an implementation on
> PyPI was proposed instead. It seems like we agreed on a smooth plan
> (or am I wrong, Cory?).

Yes, this is correct. There are plans afoot to look at moving Requests to a more event-loop-y model, and doing so basically mandates a MemoryBIO. In the absence of a Python 2.7 backport, Requests is required to basically use the same solution that Twisted currently does: namely, a mandatory dependency on PyOpenSSL.

I’m very much +1 on this.

Cory