[Python-Dev] mention aenum in the Enum docs?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed May 10 20:50:54 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 10:05:43AM -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:

> A comment on a recent SO answer [1] wondered why my aenum library wasn't
> mentioned in the docs to help guide people that needed/wanted more advanced
> Enum options to it.

I know that the std lib is where good modules go to die :-)

Is the aenum module feature complete? Is it ready to ~~die~~ move to the
std lib?

If aenum is not going through active development, perhaps the missing
features should be ported to enum and then there's no need to recommend
a second module.

> Pros:
> - drop-in replacement for the stdlib Enum
> - has many advanced features such as
>   - auto __init__ building
>   - multi-value members
>   - duplicate value but non-aliasing members
>   - etc.

Those three advanced features sound useful. Is there a reason enum
doesn't support them?

--
Steve