[Python-Dev] "make touch" replaced with "make regen-all"

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 5 00:31:19 EDT 2017

On 5 May 2017 at 03:40, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> I see no issue backporting since I don't think we have any compatibility
> promises when it comes to Makefile commands. Plus if the perf changes to add
> PGO support could be backported then I don't see why this shouldn't be
> allowed.

For the benefit of Linux distros attempting to ensure they're doing
full "from source" builds, it would be good to note this in a "Notable
changes in maintenance releases", akin to the existing ones for 3.4
and 2.7 (perhaps retitling the latter accordingly).

The note just needs to say that folks that care about doing "complete"
builds need to adjust their command sequence to be "./configure
<options> && make regen-all && make install", rather than the previous
pattern of "./configure <options> && make install".

This should also make bootstrapping easier, since bootstrap builds can
skip the "make regen-all" step and instead rely on the checked in
pre-generated files.

Cheers,
Nick.