[Python-Dev] Distutils frozen?

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 13:32:09 EDT 2017

So, I had opened up a PR (#563) to add README.rst to the distutils readme
list. Turns out, I didn't read the devguide correctly, and there needed to
be an open issue first. Oops.

Then I found bpo-11913 (https://bugs.python.org/issue11913), which said:

This would be easy to fix, but as it would be considered a new feature, it
can’t go into distutils, which is frozen.

I interpreted this as being "frozen to new features"...but I can't find any
info about that. Anywhere. The devguide doesn't even remotely mention this.
A Google search only gives me information on how to freeze modules *using*
distutils, which is hardly helpful. FWIW, no one on the PR seemed to
mention that, either.

If distutils is indeed frozen, shouldn't it be documented somewhere in the
devguide?

--
Ryan (ライアン)
Yoko Shimomura > ryo (supercell/EGOIST) > Hiroyuki Sawano >> everyone else