[Python-Dev] Exact date of Python 2 EOL?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 02:30:28 EDT 2017

On 24 March 2017 at 02:59, Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2017, at 04:41, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > By the way, maybe we can also start to list vendors (Linux vendors?)
> > who plan to offer commercial extended support?
>
> IMO, we should definitely not list 2.7 vendor and their plans on a
> python.org web page.  One, it would be a maintenance headache for the web
> site / devguide.  Two, it puts us and the PSF in the position of curating
> such a list and deciding who get to be on it and in what order and with
> keeping up with vendors' changing plans etc etc.  Third, most likely they
> are already using a particular vendor so they are not likely to change just
> because of Python 2 support.  And, fourth and most important, we don't
> really want to be encouraging people to stay on 2.7 anyway!  If it is
> important enough for them, they can do their research and find out directly
> from the vendors.

Agreed, although I'd be open to maintaining such a list in my Python 3 Q&A
at
http://python-notes.curiousefficiency.org/en/latest/python3/questions_and_answers.html

That's explicitly caveated as being both from my personal perspective and
only intermittently updated. It also already mentions the 2024 date, since
that comes from RHEL 7's 2014 release date and 10 year support cycle. All
the other commercial support end dates we know for certain at this point
finish before 2020, with Canonical being a "maybe" on 2023 (depending on
what happens in Ubuntu 18.04).

Cheers,
Nick.