[Python-Dev] Exact date of Python 2 EOL?

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Thu Mar 23 12:56:21 EDT 2017

On 23Mar2017 0937, Brian Curtin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> On Mar 23, 2017, at 09:41 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>>
>>> Can we pick an official date?
>>
>> Benjamin should pick the date and update PEP 373.
>
> Not to start a bikeshed (calendarshed?), but how about 8 February
> 2020, or 2/8 as some in the US would write it?

Whatever date is it will have to have a release on it. There's no point
in taking fixes after the final release, and I'd suggest that given it
is the last one that we'll want a longer RC period with RM approval
required for any changes after that. (I predict a slight chance of a
last minute rush to get contribution made - possibly it's worth locking
things down from the second-to-last release?)

All of which to say, there are more important concerns than choosing a
cute date :) I've got no doubt that Benjamin will come up with a plan
that leads to a stable and reliable release.

Cheers,
Steve