[Python-Dev] Exact date of Python 2 EOL?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 04:41:11 EDT 2017

Hi,

I looked at the "Status of Python branches" to check if it was up to
date. It's the case, thanks :-) But it recalled me that no exact date
was decided for the official end of line of the the Python 2 branch
(2.7 EOL).

https://docs.python.org/devguide/#status-of-python-branches
says January 1st, 2020

https://pythonclock.org/ picked April 12th, 2020 (Pycon US)

"Python 2.7 will not be maintained past 2020. No official date has
been given, so this clock counts down until April 12th, 2020, which
will be roughly the time of the 2020 PyCon. I am hereby suggesting we
make PyCon 2020 the official end-of-life date, and we throw a massive
party to celebrate all that Python 2 has done for us. (If this sounds
interesting to you, email pythonclockorg at gmail.com)."

Can we pick an official date?

By the way, maybe we can also start to list vendors (Linux vendors?)
who plan to offer commercial extended support? For example, you can
expect longer support than 2020 from RHEL:
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata

Ubuntu 12.04 reached its end of life after 5 years, but it seems like
Canonical also starts to offer extended support to customers:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/ubuntu-12-04-esm-support

You can expect longer Python 2 support indirectely ;-)

Victor