[Python-Dev] A big THANK YOU to the maintainers of What's New

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 10:22:15 EDT 2017

A bit of a thankless job, updating What's New for a bugfix release,
but can be so important. Today I was trying to figure out why a Python
script behaved differently on my dev system and my server, even when I
used Python 3.4 on both ends - but it was 3.4.4 on one and 3.4.2 on
the other. My first port of call:

https://docs.python.org/3.4/whatsnew/changelog.html#python-3-4-4

Search for 'argparse'. Find this:

Issue #9351: Defaults set with set_defaults on an argparse subparser
are no longer ignored when also set on the parent parser.

Bingo. That's where the difference came from.

So, thank you to the release managers and those who volunteer to trawl
the tracker and put stuff into What's New! It is very much
appreciated.

ChrisA