[Python-Dev] New workflow change: Welcome to blurb

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jun 25 16:09:32 EDT 2017

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017, 11:24 Terry Reedy, <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 6/25/2017 12:39 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>
>> > The entire reason I want to have this check is I don't want or have to
>> > ask another PR submitter to include a draft of a news item. It's much
>> > easier to edit an existing news entry through the web UI than either ask
>> > for it and deal with the turnaround time to get the PR submitter to add
>> it.
>>
>> I was not aware that PRs could be edited via a web UI and have no idea
>> how.  I search a PR for something, searched the devguide index for
>> 'web', and searched 3 Lifecycle of a pull request.  Did I miss
>> something.  Also, 6. Helping with Documentation should say something
>> about submitting typo PRs via the web, if indeed that is possible yet.
>>

> You can edit anything via the web, it's just part of GitHub and so we have
> not documented it explicitly to avoid just duplicating GitHub's own docs.

If you're still not sure how, from the PR UI go to the "Files changed" tab
and click the "pencil" icon on the heading for the file you want to change.
The PR creator must have enabled this (but I think it's on by default).
When you save, GitHub creates a new commit in the PR's branch and all the
usual tests (Travis-CI etc.) get kicked off. Where it breaks down is if you
want to edit multiple files (it creates a new commit for each) or if the
files are large (scrolling around is awkward) or if you want to make
extensive changes (the web editor is limited in its capabilities, it's
based on https://codemirror.net/).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido <http://python.org/%7Eguido>)