[Python-Dev] PEP 538 warning at startup: please remove it

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Jun 12 16:48:37 EDT 2017

On Jun 12, 2017 10:50, "Gregory P. Smith" <greg at krypto.org> wrote:

The problem, as with all warnings, is that it isn't the user who has
control over the problem who sees the warning. It is the end use of an
application on a system that sees it.

I don't think I understand the distinction you're making here. This isn't
like DeprecationWarnings where python is trying to tell the application
developer that they need to fix something, and the application user gets
caught in the crossfire. In this case there's nothing the application
developer can do – the problem is that the end user has their system
misconfigured, and probably should fix their .bashrc or crontab something
before running the application. Or maybe they shouldn't and python should
just do its thing and it's fine. But if anyone's going to do something it
would have to be the end user, right?

(I don't have an opinion on the warning itself; I'd be mildly interested to
discover which of my systems are broken in this fashion but it doesn't
affect me much either way. It does occur to me though that it will probably
make some sysadmins *extremely* cranky: the ones that have crontabs with
broken locales and which are set to email if their script generates any
output – I think these are both still cron defaults – and who after
upgrading to py37 will suddenly find copies of this warning pouring into
their inboxes at a rate of hundreds per hour.)

-n