[Python-Dev] Appending a link back to bugs.python.org in GitHub PRs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 11:35:43 EDT 2017

On 26 July 2017 at 02:21, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 at 07:30 Ben Hoyt <benhoyt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> With the linking back and forth, I'm curious why there wasn't a switch to
>> use GitHub's issue tracker when we switched to GitHub. I'm sure there was
>> previous discussion about this and good reasons not to, but couldn't find
>> those quickly (PEP 512, Google search, etc) -- can someone point me in the
>> right direction? -Ben
>
> Basically there was push-back on the idea and I only had enough time and
> patience for one major infrastructure change that was somewhat controversial
> and not for two.

And unlike repository management and review management, we don't have
any major process bottlenecks specifically related to bugs.python.org,
and Github's issue tracker is merely "good enough if you don't
otherwise have an issue tracker" rather than being exemplary the way
their repository and review management are.

So given the volume of incoming references to the current issue URLs,
the potential for increased lock-in to a proprietary service provider
with non-public finances, the difficulty of actually doing such a
migration, and the questionable practical benefits, "Integrate Roundup
with GitHub" was the default winner over doing a second data
migration.

The idea of moving tracker development *itself* to GitHub (and hence
getting to dispense with the metatracker in favour of a GitHub repo
with issues enabled) *has* been raised, and may be worth considering,
but that would be up to the folks that actually do the bulk of the
work on tracker maintenance (Berker, Ezio, Maciej, etc)

Cheers,
Nick.