[Python-Dev] Is Windows XP still supported on Python 2.7?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 05:56:44 EDT 2017

> The promise that PEP-11 is making is that as long as a python was released
> while Microsoft still supported that OS, and that python is still supported,
> there will still be a python that works for you.  So, yes, Windows XP is
> long since unsupported by Microsoft, but a disturbing number of people still
> run it.  (I think the NHS in the UK still runs embedded windows XP, just to
> name a big one).  Yes, it's a support burden, but it's on the support burden
> version of python anyways.  2.7 is a very slow moving branch so it shouldn't
> be THAT big of a pain for the last 2 years of python 2 support.

Python 2.7.13 which was released at 2016-12-17 still supports Windows
XP. It's not like you cannot install on Windows XP anymore.

The question is who will fix bugs specific to Windows XP or Visa until
2020. Having a working Windows XP is probably required to debug and
fix such bugs.

I don't want to install Windows XP on my network. The last time I ran
XP was something like 4 years ago, and I was reading an article saying
that malwares are able to attack XP even during the installation time.
So you cannot be sure that installed Windows is safe of malwares or
not...

Victor