[Python-Dev] Investigating Python memory footprint of one real Web application

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 07:22:17 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Ivan Levkivskyi <levkivskyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 January 2017 at 11:49, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> * typing may increase memory footprint, through functions
>> __attributes__ and abc.
>>    * Can we add option to remove or lazy evaluate __attributes__ ?
>

> This idea already appeared few times. I proposed to introduce a flag (e.g.
> -OOO) to ignore function and variable annotations in compile.c
> It was decide to postpone this, but maybe we can get back to this idea.
>
> In 3.6, typing is already (quite heavily) optimized for both speed and
> space.
> I remember doing an experiment comparing a memory footprint with and without
> annotations, the difference was few percent.
> Do you have such comparison (with and without annotations) for your app?
> It would be nice to have a realistic number to estimate what would the
> additional optimization flag save.

I'm sorry.  I just read the blog article yesterday and investigate one
application today.
I don't have idea how to compare memory overhead of __annotations__ yet.

And the project I borrowed codebase start using typing very recently,
after reading
Dropbox's story.  So I don't know how % of functions are typed.

I'll survey more about it later, hopefully in this month.