[Python-Dev] Making the new dtrace support work on OS X

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 08:08:52 EST 2017

Hi,

I was excited to see official dtrace support for python 3.6.0 on OS X, but
I have not been able to make it work:

1. I built my own python from sources on OS X 10.9,  with the --with-dtrace
support
2. if I launch `python3.6 -q &` and then `sudo dtrace -l -P python$!`, I
get the following output:

   ID   PROVIDER            MODULE                          FUNCTION NAME
 2774 python48084         python3.6          _PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
function-entry
 2775 python48084         python3.6          _PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
function-return
 2776 python48084         python3.6                           collect
gc-done
 2777 python48084         python3.6                           collect
gc-start
 2778 python48084         python3.6          _PyEval_EvalFrameDefault line

Which looks similar but not the same as the example given in the doc at
https://docs.python.org/dev/howto/instrumentation.html#enabling-the-static-markers

3. When I try to test anything with the given call_stack.d example, I can't
make it work at all:

"""
# script.py
def start():
    foo()

def foo():
    pass

start()
"""

I am not very familiar with dtrace, so maybe I a missing a step, there is a
documentation bug, or it depends on which OS X version you are using ?

Thanks,
David