[Python-Dev] Translated Python documentation

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 23:22:28 EST 2017

On 26 February 2017 at 05:57, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, right place to discussion is one of important things what I want.
> I haven't know about i18n-sig.  Is it better than docs-sig?
>

> Another thing I want is agreement to use project name looks like
> (semi)official project.
>
> We used "python-doc-jp" name on Transifex at first.  But since some people
> other than Japanese ask me to allow other languages,  I renamed it to
> "python-doc".
> And I reserved "python-docs" organization at Github.

+1 from me for continuing to use those names (although you may want to
standardise on "python-docs", since the mailing list is docs-sig, and the
site is docs.python.org).

While it's not translation related, I'll also note an idea that came up at
the language summit a couple of years ago: moving the tutorial and the
howto guides *out* of the version-specific documentation and into a
separate version independent docs repository. As the stats Serhiy posted
suggest, these typically *don't* change a great deal between versions, and
when they do, the version differences are often going to be better handled
inline (e.g. "On versions older than 3.x, ....") rather than by maintaining
multiple distinct versions of the document.

Cheers,
Nick.