[Python-Dev] Translated Python documentation

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:33:54 EST 2017

On 24 February 2017 at 23:05, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Berker Peksağ <berker.peksag at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > As someone who have spent a lot of time reviewing and committing
> > documentation patches, I'm strongly against on marking documentation
> > translations as official.
>
> I totally agree with you.  Our QA is not good as commit review of CPython.
> So what I want is (un|semi) official place for we share our efforts with
> other
> language translators.  (e.g. automated build, hosting translated
> documentation,
> and downstream customizations like adding link to official English
> document).
>

> > The Python documentation updates frequently
> > and it's simply not possible to keep them sync with the official
> > documentation. See
> > https://github.com/python/cpython/commits/master/Doc for the commit
> > history of the official documentation. You can easily compare it with
> > the translations by looking their GitHub repositories.
>
> While we don't translate mastar branch, I admit we behind several weeks or
> months from upstream.
> But since we moved most work on Travis, we can make it weekly or even
> daily.
> And we can share the automation with other Languages if we have a team.

Right, I think this is the key: helping the language translation
communities set up common flows so they can collaborate on the backend
automation, request process or tech changes in the main docs to simplify
translation (such as resolving the issue with "implementation detail" notes
disappearing when translated), and generally improving discoverability of
the translated versions.

In addition to the case of folks that struggle to read the English
documentation at all, I'd assume that there are also folks that would
appreciate the chance to check their own understanding against someone
else's translation of various topics.

Cheers,
Nick.