[Python-Dev] GitHub migration scheduled for Friday

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 16:31:43 EST 2017

> Many patches have multiple authors. Does the 'author' field allow that?
> Often, the committer adds missing chunks or rewrites the work with various
> degrees of editing.  Sometimes a read a patch for the idea and then start
> fresh with the actual code.  An acknowledgement in the news entry can be
> written different ways to reflect the situation.

In my experience, the common case is two "authors": the initial patch
autor, and the core dev who makes minor changes like filling Misc/NEWS
and adjust some parts of the code. If changes are minor, there is no
need to elaborate. But if changes are non straightforward, they can be
listed in the commit messages.

If a patch has more author, you have to pick the name, decide which
author helped the most, and add the other authors in the commit
message.

Using GitHub, it will become easier to use patch series, and so
smaller changes. Each change may have a different author :-D

Victor