[Python-Dev] GitHub migration scheduled for Friday

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Feb 8 12:15:51 EST 2017

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 at 23:38 Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm sure the patch author would appreciate it, but I don't think we
> > need to require it as we have gone this long without it.
>
> I know that different people have different expectation on GitHub. I
> would like to take the opportunity of migrating to Git to use the
> "author" and "committer" fields. If the author is set to the real
> author, the one who proposed the change on the bug tracker or someone
> else, we will be able to compute statistics on most active
> contributors to more easily detect them and promote them to core
> developers.
>
> What do you think?

Personally I think this would be great for everyone to do. Do you want to
propose a PR for the devguide to document what to include (I assume
committer will automatically be filled with the core dev's info so that
should only require authorship to be specified).

> I agree that pull requests avoid the issues of filling manually the
> author field, but I expect that not everyone will use PR, especially
> because we will still use our current bug tracker which accepts to
> attach patch files. Ok to propose them to create a PR instead.

My expectation is there will be a transition period of dealing with patches
on bpo which have submitters who don't want to bother making an equivalent
PR on GitHub.