[Python-Dev] Py 3.6 on Ubuntu Zesty

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Feb 8 03:45:01 EST 2017

On 07/02/2017 22:38, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Feb 07, 2017, at 02:15 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know why Python 3.6 is not the default Python 3 under the
>> upcoming Ubuntu Zesty, or what may be holding it back?
>
> I guess that would be me. :)
>
>> Is there anyone that could give it a nudge?  It's in the repos but not as
>> python3:
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/python3
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/python3.6
>
> I posted about this on the ubuntu-devel mailing list:

[... snip comprehensive explanation about how versions get promoted
within Debian / Ubuntu ...]

Well I'm only a casual Linux user, but this was interesting just because
of the better understanding it gives of the processes which distros have
to go through once new versions are released upstream.

Thanks

TJG