[Python-Dev] Is static typing still optional?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 20:54:29 EST 2017

On 23 Dec. 2017 9:37 am, "David Mertz" <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:

There name Data seems very intuitive to me without suggesting type
declaration as Any does (but it can still be treated as a synonym by actual
type checkers)

Type checkers would also be free to interpret it as "infer the type from
the default value", rather than necessarily treating it as Any.

I still wonder about the "fields *must* be annotated" constraint though. I
can understand a constraint that the style be *consistent* (i.e. all fields
as annotations, or all fields as field instances), since that's needed to
determine the field order, but I don't see the problem with the "no
annotations" style otherwise.

Cheers,
Nick.