[Python-Dev] PEP 565: Show DeprecationWarning in __main__

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Dec 5 10:50:34 EST 2017

If you ask me this PEP is not going to make everyone happy, but I think it
is an improvement, and it seems many people are in agreement or at least
don't object to it (and obviously Nick thinks it's going to be a big
improvement).

Therefore I am planning to accept it by the end of this week unless more
objections are voiced.

Honestly, I didn't completely follow what Victor thinks of the PEP -- his
post seemed mostly about promoting his own -X dev flag. I have nothing
against that flag but I don't see how its existence is relevant to the PEP,
which is about giving users who don't even know they are Python developers
a hint when they are using deprecated features (for which there always must
be a shiny new replacement!).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)