[Python-Dev] bpo-5001: More-informative multiprocessing error messages (#3079)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Aug 31 15:27:40 EDT 2017

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 at 02:56 Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 August 2017 at 10:48, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 30 August 2017 at 19:39, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry, I routinely forget about it.  Can we have an automated check for
> >> this?
> >
> > Not while we're pushing the "squash & merge" button directly, as
> > there's no opportunity for any automated hooks to run at that point :(
> >
> > More options open up if the actual commit is being handled by a bot,
> > but even that would still depend on us providing an updated commit
> > message via some mechanism.
>
> We could have a check for PRs that contain multiple commits. The check
> would flag that the commit message needs manual editing before
> merging, and would act as a prompt for submitters who are willing to
> do so to squash their PRs themselves. Personally, I'd prefer that as,
> apart from admin activities like making sure the PR and issue number
> references are present and correct, I think the original submitter has
> a better chance of properly summarising the PR in the merged commit
> message anyway.

So you would want a comment when the PR reaches "awaiting merge" with
instructions requesting the author do their own squash commit to simplify
the message for us?

There's also https://github.com/python/bedevere/issues/14 to help
post-commit remind core devs when they forgot to do something. While it
would be too late to fix a problem, hopefully regular reminders would still
be helpful.