[Python-Dev] first post introduction and question regarding lto

Soldea, Octavian octavian.soldea at intel.com
Mon Aug 7 14:48:03 EDT 2017

Hello

This is my first post after I just have subscribed to the Python-Dev mailing list. In this context, the welcome confirmation message suggested to introduce myself.

My name is Octavian Soldea and I am with the Python optimization team in DSLOT group in Intel, Santa Clara, California. In the past I have received a PhD in Computer Science from the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology in Computer Vision.

I would like to ask regarding the possibility of compiling Python with lto only. My question is if is the community interested to enable the possibility of compiling Python with lto only, i.e. without pgo? I have followed
https://bugs.python.org/issue29243
and
https://bugs.python.org/issue29641
however, it is not clear if the separate compilation is already implemented. In my opinion this is a good option since pgo is not always desired.

Best regards,
  Octavian