[Python-Dev] TextIO seek and tell cookies

Peter Ludemann pludemann at google.com
Mon Sep 26 01:48:19 EDT 2016

On 25 September 2016 at 21:18, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Be careful though, comparing these to plain integers should probably
> be allowed,

​There's a good reason why it's "opaque" ... why would you want to make it
less opaque?

And I'm curious why Python didn't adopt the fgetpos/fsetpos style that
makes the data structure completely opaque (fpos_t). IIRC, this was added
to C when the ANSI standard was first written, to allow cross-platform
compatibility in cases where ftell/fseek was difficult (or impossible) to
fully implement. Maybe those reasons don't matter any more (e.g., dealing
with record-oriented or keyed file systems) ...