[Python-Dev] Let's make the SSL module sane

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 11:24:13 EDT 2016

On 11 September 2016 at 00:22, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org> wrote:
> First I like to deprecated some old APIs and favor of SSLCotext. We have
> multiple ways to create a SSL socket or to configure libraries like
> urllib. The general idea is to make SSLContext the central object for
> TLS/SSL configuration. My patch deprecates ssl.wrap_socket()

I'll bring over my question from the tracker issue to here: there's a
subset of ssl.wrap_socket() arguments which actually make sense as
arguments to ssl.get_default_context().wrap_socket().

Accordingly, we can pick a subset of code (e.g. SSL/TLS clients) that
we bless with not needing to change, leaving only code using
deprecated parameters or creating server sockets that needs to be
updated.

As with past network security changes, a major factor we need to
account for is that no matter how valuable a particular goal is from a
broader industry perspective, people don't tend to react to API breaks
by fixing their code - they react by not upgrading at all.

Regards,
Nick.