[Python-Dev] PEP 529: Change Windows filesystem encoding to UTF-8

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Sep 8 13:10:05 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 at 09:06 Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And apart from Python, few shell commands that work on
>>> Unix make much sense on Windows,
>>

>> Does the (optional) addition of bash to Windows 10 have any impact on
>> this?
>>
>> It'll be something that Windows developers can't count on their users
>> having for a good while, if ever, but if you can control the deployment
>> environment, then you might. And it would be VERY tempting for
>> "posix-focused" developers that want to run their code on Windows.
>>
>> So it would be nice if the "new" approach worked well with bash on
>> Windows.
>

> Bash on Windows is just Linux, so it isn't affected by any of this.

I don't know what that sentence means. But anyways, if someone wants
to try making subprocess work with bytes arguments on Windows work,
that's just a bugfix, and you're not constrained by how it works on
previous Python versions (since it doesn't work there at all). It
might be wise to choose an interpretation that's consistent with other
uses of command line arguments by Python on Windows though (rather
than choosing to favor making just bash work the same as it works on
Linux).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)