[Python-Dev] Please reject or postpone PEP 526

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Sep 5 14:58:01 EDT 2016

On 9/5/2016 11:34 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Mark Shannon <mark at hotpy.org> wrote:

>> Indeed, we shouldn't panic. We should take our time, review this carefully
>> and make sure that the version of typehints that lands in 3.7 is one that we
>> most of us are happy with and all of us can at least tolerate.
>
> Right, we want the best possible version to land in 3.7. And in order
> to make that possible, I have to accept it *provisionally* for 3.6 and

Until now, the 'provisional' part has not been clear to me, and
presumably others who have written as if acceptance meant 'baked in
stone'.  We have had provisional modules, but not, that I can think of,
syntax that remains provisional past the x.y.0 release.

> Ivan's implementation will go into 3.6b1. We will then have until 3.7
> to experiment with it and tweak it as necessary.

New syntax is usually implemented within python itself, and can be fully
experimented with during alpha and beta releases.  In this case, the
effective implementation will be in 3rd party checkers and
experimentation will take longer.

--
Terry Jan Reedy