[Python-Dev] Push PEP 528 (use utf8 on Windows) right now, but revert before 3.6 if needed

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 14:44:04 EDT 2016

Hi,

I just spoke with Steve Dower (thanks for the current sprint!) about
the PEP 528. We somehow agreed that we need to push his implementation
of the PEP right now to get enough time to test as much applications
as possible on Windows to have a wide view of possible all
regressions.

The hope is that enough users will test the first Python 3.6 beta 1
(feature freeze!) with their app on Windows.

If we find blocker points before Python 3.6 final, we still have time
to revert code to restore the Python 3.5 behaviour (use ANSI code page
for bytes).

What do you think?

Note: First I was strongly opposed to any kind of change related to
encodings on Windows, but then I made my own tests and had to confess
that my proposed changes break the world. Steve's approach makes more
sense and is more realistic.

Victor