[Python-Dev] PEP 526 ready for review: Syntax for Variable and Attribute Annotations

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:14:34 EDT 2016

On 2016-08-30 2:20 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'm happy to present PEP 526 for your collective review:
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0526/ (HTML)
> https://github.com/python/peps/blob/master/pep-0526.txt (source)
>
> There's also an implementation ready:
> https://github.com/ilevkivskyi/cpython/tree/pep-526
>
> I don't want to post the full text here but I encourage feedback on
> the high-order ideas, including but not limited to
>
> - Whether (given PEP 484's relative success) it's worth adding syntax
> for variable/attribute annotations.
>
> - Whether the keyword-free syntax idea proposed here is best:
>    NAME: TYPE
>    TARGET: TYPE = VALUE

I'm in favour for the PEP, and I like the syntax.  I find it much better
than any previously discussed alternatives.

Static typing is becoming increasingly more popular, and the benefits of
using static type checkers for big code bases are clear.  The PEP
doesn't really change the semantics of the language, it only allows
better tooling (using comments for annotations was fine too, but
dedicated syntax makes this feature a first class citizen).

Yury