[Python-Dev] Update to PEP 1 re: content type

Mariatta Wijaya mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 14:09:11 EDT 2016

Hello,

PEP 1 states that plain/text is an acceptable value for a PEP's content
type, and it is the default value if no content type is specified.

May I propose adding something along the line of: "new PEPs should use
restructured Text format", and that reST format becomes the default.

Based on couple tickets in peps repo, it seems like the reST format is
preferred anyway, and there have been thoughts about converting text based
PEPs into reST format
https://github.com/python/peps/issues/4
https://github.com/python/peps/issues/2

I hope this is not too controversial.
Discussed this with Guido earlier. He is supportive, and asked me to send
email to python-dev :)

Thanks

Mariatta Wijaya