[Python-Dev] Python ROCKS! Thanks guys! [anecdote]

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 21:01:27 EDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> I work with a full-stack web development bootcamp. Most of the course
> focuses on *JavaScript (Node.js, React, jQuery, etc),*

Poor students... ;)

> but there's a
> one-week period in which each student gets to pick some technology to
> learn, and at the end of the week, demos to the group some project
> s/he has mastered. Two chose to learn Python, and I've been mentoring
> them through this week.
>
> The comments from each of them have been fairly glowing. Python is
> this incredible thing that has immense power and flexibility;
> significant-whitespace hasn't been a cause of confusion (not even
> mentioned after the first day); and
>
> The most notable features of Python, for these two
> JS-only-up-until-now guys, are the simplicity of the 'for' loop
> (including that you don't need lots of different forms - you can
> iterate over a dictionary without having to learn some new type of
> loop), the list comprehension, and metaprogramming - mainly function
> decorator syntax. And both of them are starting to talk about being
> "converts" to Python :)
>
> Great job, all. Not that it's particularly difficult to compete with a
> language that was originally designed and developed in under two
> weeks, but still. :D

I think the craziest thing is probably that, based on how you said it,
these two students haven't even begun to enter the entire Python standard
library, which you'd have to download a zillion npm modules (like the
glorious left-pad) in order to match. Once they realize that, they'll never
be going back!

--
Ryan
[ERROR]: Your autotools build scripts are 200 lines longer than your